What is this work life balance we speak of...

I'm going to keep this post brief. I haven't blogged in awhile on tech and engineering topics though my mind is always thinking about that. So here goes.

When you think of when you hear the phrase "work life balance"? Working 9-5? Working for a company that values your time outside of work? Your personal life? How about a job that gives you the time to pursue interests and hobbies outside of work? Maybe a job that enables you to have time for friends, family and loved ones? How about a company the hosts a lot of culture events and gives you time to socialize with co-workers outside of day to day work? How about a job where your colleagues are your good friends, where you end up forming great friendships?

I usually think of similar ideas when I hear the whole work life balance topic.

However my thoughts have evolved on the subject after attending a recent Write/Speak/Code meet up in New York City. When the former Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of a well known NYC based start up was posed this exact question, her answer was like an aha moment for me. Slightly paraphrased but the below quote completely conveys her thoughts on the subject.
Burn out is not about how many hours you spend at a job, it's about how much mental space your job is taking up, even when you are not doing it and your inability to disconnect. It's about the emotional price to pay to be at that job
Her answer wasn't focused on balancing work with life nor was it about the number of hours you put into a given job. For me, it deviated from what we normally hear about work life balance in the mainstream media. Her opinions tied back to the critical issue of burnout on the job. The emotional price, toil and burden a job places on you as an employee. Its about your mental and physical health. Its about how you feel and think about a job, both during and after work hours. I can completely relate to the statement. When I am loving my job and feel motivated and energized with the work I am doing, work does not really feel like work. For the most part. I may be working 12 or 13 hours a day and while I do believe the long hours could eventually catch up with you, being happy and motivated with your work is a huge asset. It matters a lot to me to feel fully engaged about my work, to feel like I am having an impact.

Not having negative thoughts after leaving work means you can spend that extra time, albeit not that many hours, completely detached from work. Being happy and not paying an emotional price to work at a place is a huge factor towards career happiness and fulfillment IMHO. I personally have had cases where I was so emotionally involved with my job which led to negative thoughts both during and after work hours. I can say the emotional burden was difficult and I look back and think about the hours and days wasted thinking about things beyond my control or not doing anything to change the situation.

I'll keep this blog post short and sweet but that's my two cents on the topic. I'd love to hear what you think about this specific interpretation of burnout and work life balance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women Techmakers New York City 2017